Policies and Procedures
There is a scheduled 2-week break between each 8-week session. Participants are encouraged to sign up in advance for an upcoming 8-week session to ensure desired lesson time.
A goal of Lichen Oaks Adaptive Riding Center (LOARC) is to develop the highest quality adaptive horsemanship and riding program. We continuously develop policies and procedures to ensure that all aspects of our organization run smoothly and efficiently. The policies below have been created to help us serve you better.
Weight Limit Policy: According to PATH Intl. guidelines, riding is contraindicated:
- If the staff is unable to safely manage the participant in any situation, including an emergency dismount.
- If safety or comfort of the horse is compromised during mounted activities.
- LOARC may not be able to accommodate students over 200lbs: decisions regarding participation will be made by the director and instructors and will be based on the availability of a suitable horse relative to the height, weight, cognition, and balance of the participant.
- For the safety of riders, instructors, volunteers and horses we require all riders to be able to sit on a horse and balance independently by holding on to the therapy surcingle with one or both hands. They must also be able to assist in transfer on and off of the horse. Applicants who are unable to sit unassisted may require direct treatment by a therapist in a hippo therapy program, which is not offered at LOARC.
- Participants who are absent from school due to illness are not to attend riding lessons. Excused absences (i.e., illness, death in family) may be rescheduled within current session. Although there is no guarantee of a make-up lesson, as make-up lessons are dependent on availability of volunteer and instructor time, an effort to accommodate the student will be made. There will be no make-up for notice of lesson cancellation of less than 24 hours.
- All current illnesses or change in medical history should be reported to the staff immediately upon arriving for a scheduled lesson.
- All illnesses that might affect the student’s balance (e.g. ear infection) should be reported to staff immediately upon arriving for a scheduled lesson.
- Any change or introduction of new medications should be reported to staff immediately upon arriving for a scheduled lesson.
- Each session consists of eight lessons, one lesson per week, for eight consecutive weeks. The tuition for each session is $480, to be paid in full prior to the start of the session’s first lesson.
- While we know that unexpected circumstances arise, if a participant cancels after they have already paid for a session, but prior to lessons commencing, full tuition minus a $30 administrative fee is refunded.
- If a participant cancels during the first week of lessons, LOARC refunds the full tuition minus $90 ( $30 administrative fee plus cost of one lesson).
- No refunds are available after the first week of lessons.
- Because a number of volunteers commit their time to ensure safe activities, we ask for notification of participant absence at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled lesson, if at all possible, by leaving a message at 831-335-2347.
- If a pattern of poor attendance develops, you will be notified and advised that in order to continue lessons, regular attendance is required. If participant arrives late for a lesson, the remaining scheduled lesson time will be provided for instruction. Additional minutes will not be extended beyond your scheduled lesson time.
- Notification of lesson cancellation must be made at all times. After three missed lessons without notification, you will be contacted and the remainder of the session’s lessons will be forfeited. Payment for forfeited lessons will not be refunded.
- If LOARC cancels a lesson, the lesson will be rescheduled at a mutually convenient time.
- All visitors must sign a general release of liability upon arrival.
- Siblings or minors accompanying the student must be supervised at all times by either a parent or guardian.
- No pets are allowed on the premises.